Intergenerational relationships are incredibly unique and valuable for all parties involved. Older adults offer beautiful glances into the past, while children contribute laughter and simplicity to the relationship. No relationship is more treasured than the relationship between grandchildren and grandparents.
However, it can sometimes be challenging to think of activities to do together that are fun and age-appropriate for everyone involved. So here is a list of fun activities to do with your grandparents.
Around the House
- Bake Together: Whether whipping up a batch of cookies or preparing a full meal, cooking is an excellent way to bond – especially if you’re following a family recipe. Plus, you’ll enjoy a delicious meal or sweet treat.
- Make a Family Album: Looking through old photos and documents is an excellent way for grandkids to learn about family history and create new memories. If you’re creatively inclined, you could even make it into a contest to see who can come up with the best design!
- Play Cards or Games: Games are always fun to pass the time and can be pretty competitive! For example, see who comes out on top playing a game of Scrabble or Monopoly.
- Share Memories: There is nothing better than sitting down with your grandchildren to tell them about your childhood, favorite memories, life when you were their age, and more. You’ll be surprised at how much you learn about each other.
- Go for a Walk or a Bike Ride: This is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors while spending time together. If you can walk only a short distance, you could also take a drive together.
- Gardening: Gardening is therapeutic and can be very relaxing. Plus, you’ll enjoy the fruits (or vegetables) of your labor afterward! For bonus points, see if you can create a recipe out of your harvest.
- Have a Picnic: Pack some sandwiches and drinks and head to the park for a picnic lunch. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and each other’s company.
Around the Town
- Visit a Local Museum: Museums and art galleries are great places to learn about new things and explore different cultures and perspectives. Plus, many museums offer discounted admission for seniors!
- Attend a Concert or Play: Live music is always enjoyable, whether classical or contemporary. And there’s nothing like seeing a play or musical performed live on stage.
- Volunteer: Giving back is always rewarding, and volunteering is a terrific way to spend time with your grandchildren while also helping those in need.
Spending time with our grandchildren is vital as we age. But, whatever you do, remember that the most important thing is quality time spent together making memories. Greenbrier Village is uniquely designed to provide the most appropriate level of housing and services through each of its five levels of care. We invite you to explore our website to learn about living options, services, and amenities that you or your loved one can enjoy. Call us at 580-233-8993 today!